January 4, 2012

+9

On my way to Naxxar, I came across a billboard by the Maltese pressure group Gift of Life. Now I must admit that I am rather annoyed by this group. I am annoyed not because of their message against abortion (with which I agree wholeheartedly) but at the way that they go about to try and achieve their aims.

GoL seem to be copying the modus operandi of the Evangelical Christian groups of the American South. They argue that abortion is wrong because God said so and therefore it should be banned. Moreover they do not even bother giving any practical solution apart from entrenching the ban on abortion in the constitution.

I find this very frustrating. GOL had the chance to be a reasonable voice in the abortion debate and instead ended up in most people's loony bin.

What I would like GOL to do is to offer solutions to this problem. Like starting a sex education campaign in our schools so that we decrease the rate of teenage pregnancy. Or maybe putting pressure on the government to provide better support to women passing through difficult pregnancies.

Changing the constitution will not help us reduce abortion but better awareness and education would.

No comments:

Post a Comment