April 21, 2011

Divorce and Democracy

I know, I know, right now I should be focusing on my paper instead of writing on my blog. But with this gorgeous weather and shipbuilding like feel to the Sussex library, I do feel that I've got to take some things off my chest before starting some real work.

Today I want to talk about the divorce referendum that is going to be held in Malta on the 28th of May. The issue has now been debated over and over again and I am getting the feeling that the sooner the vote, the better for everyone involved! Let's get it over and done with once and for all and move forward.

However what has been bothering lately are the attacks that are been put against the Maltese Church. Now let me clarify this beforehand. I am in favour of the introduction of divorce in Malta. I believe it is a civil right that no government can deny to any of its citizens whatever their religious creed is. However since we are going to have a referendum on the issue (not the ideal situation but that's another story) , the Church DOES have a right to push forward its arguments against divorce.

This is the very basis of democracy. The Church as a party in the Maltese society has a right to voice its opinions especially within its activities. I cannot really understand the controversy that people are trying to put forward just because an anti-divorce message was put forward during mass and during the procession of Our Lady of Sorrows. It is within the Church's right to do put forward a message during its activities, however ridiculous and frivolous we might find that argument to be.

Readers would probably reply back that yes the church has the right to voice its opinion but it has no right to tell people that they will go to hell if they vote in favour of divorce. Again I beg to disagree on this. The Church is a religious organisation. Talking to Catholics it has to put every issue in the context of its teachings. Thus telling someone that he would be committing a sin if voting in favour is just stating a position. Again I know that such position is not the position of the Church as a whole and thus should be taken in perspective.

The final consideration I would like to put forward is that divorce will enter into Maltese law at some point or another in time. A no vote would only delay the inevitable



1 comment: